Saturday, June 16, 2007

Do you know of a good dry cleaner?

I must attract the nutbars....perhaps I look like I WANT to talk to all the crazies out there?
Note to self: Do something to change appearance, as to not attract attention from every nutbar, ingoramus, bigot in town!!!

Yesterday, LittleMouse2 and I were running some errands in the afternoon....pharmacy, pick up dry cleaning.....First, the lady at the dry cleaners asked when we were going to China to 'get another one'. I just replied with a 'Sorry, what did you say?'. She then goes on to explain in an o-so-eloquent way that her daughter works at the shoe store where my husband shops and he was telling her all about 'it'. 'It' being the new kid! She wanted to know, 'Does it already come with a name?'. After pausing to collect my thoughts, I told her that 'he' is a child and yes, 'he has a name'. Wish that was the end of the story....but nooooo....there's more....

A nosy lady (in this case, I use the term very loosely) sitting nearby pipes up..."Where are you going? I couldn't quite hear." The first lady yells over to her, "They are going to China.....to adopt another one!" Nosy Lady then proceeds to ask, "Just how do you go about buying one of those kids. I heard it was a lot of money? Are you gonna pay a lot?" I stood there dumbfounded for what seemed like an eternity and I finally managed to say, " Did you REALLY just ask me if I was buying a child?" And she said, "Yeah....that's what I'd like to know". I then said, " Not that its any of your business, but NO, I will not be buying anyone. We will adopt a child very soon, but we will not be buying anyone. He is a person. You don't buy people." She just kept on going while I was trying to get my dry cleaning an go.... "Yeah, but you must have to pay something?" I said, " Well, Air Canada won't be flying us there for free and we will be staying in a hotel...so yes, there is a cost for a trip....but NOT for a child. I can't beleive you would even think of asking that....and in front of my daughter!!" By then I had my dry cleaning and I headed quickly out the door.

What more can I say....

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

Ugh. I'm sorry you had to deal with such stupid (and hurtful) comments. Some people are just ignorant about the process, but to ask it in such a demeaning way, and in front of your daughter, is just unforgivable.

Elizabeth said...

STUPID people!
I find it always most annoying when you correct someone and they STILL don't get it.
I would have turned on the snark way before you left.
But maybe it's different when your other child is with you.
I think a retort like "Why R U asking me personal questions?" might have evened things out for me.

crazylady said...

Time to find a new drycleaner.
Sorry to hear. I've heard it all (twice)