Monday, June 18, 2007

Chu Ju's House by Gloria Whelen - 2 thumbs up!

Since we are just over a week until we travel to China to meet our LittleMouse3, sleep has not been my friend. When I don't sleep, I read. Over the weekend, I read a wonderful book, written with the pre-teen in mind, called "Chu Ju's House" by Gloria Whelen. Since I finished teacher's training several years ago, I have made a promise to myself to read at least one children's/pre-teen book each summer, just for fun. Since I anticipate being very busy over the course of this summer, I thought I would keep my promise a bit early :)

I am glad to have found this book. It is clearly written, in language that is both appealing yet challenging and since it is written from the POV of a young girl as she grows into a young woman, it is especially sweet. Although a work of fiction, the author seems to have taken great pains to be accurate, yet sensitive to the issues of baby girl abandonment in China. I wanted to read this book long before my daughter is old enough to read it.....we are still several years away from 'chapter books'...lol. In my search for book about adoption, Chinese people and culture, I am trying to compile a library for my daughter (and sons, for that matter) to someday take as her own....I guess its my attempt to provide her with links to her past....however flimsy they may be..... I worry that she will not understand her circumstances, how she came to be where and what she is and will be in the future. I fear that she will suffer because of the choice of so many adults (including me) in her young life. I fear that she will resent me....
I just want for her what any parent wants for their child.....to be happy.

Wow....I guess I digressed a bit from the book review. As you can see, the book really brought up a lot of questions and feelings for me....which is why I appreciate it so much....if you haven't already read it, I recommend "Chu Ju's House" by Gloria Whelen.....but get ready to bring out the tissues and to strap on that 'thinking cap'.

No comments: