Thursday, June 7, 2007

Books by Peter Hessler

If you are looking for something to read that pertains to China, but not specifically about adoption, I fully recommend one of Peter Hessler's books. I am currently reading "Oracle Bones" after just finishing "River Town - Two Years on the Yangtze".

Anyone that knows me, knows that I am a book nut....a reading nut, for that matter. I MUST read - books, magazines, blogs, cereal boxes...you name it, I read it! I have been slowly compiling quite a library of books about China and adoption over the past few years, and I am constantly searching for something new to read. I must say that Hessler's "River Town" is one of the best China-related books I've ever read. He writes in a really fluid, clear, not textbook-y kind of way. The book is humourous and eye-opening...the first time I have actually felt that maybe China isn't all that mysterious was when reading this book. Because he lived and worked (and studied Mandarin) for two years in China, Hessler does a great job at demystifying some of the differences he sees between Western and Eastern cultures...and he does this with a great deal of humility. I don't want to give too much of the book away - I really do hope that more people will read it.
BTW - what initially drew me to this book was the fact that the author was writing about his time living in the city of Fuling (Sichuan Province). I know that Fuling is one of the places in China that has an orphanage that participates in the IA program....I personally know of one beautiful girl in my own town from Fuling. So, I guess even though adoption is not a theme in this particular book, it still really jumped out at me as something I should read. Glad I did!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Hi House Mouse. Thanks for stopping by my place and leaving a comment. I too am a book nut. It's the only gift I ever hope to get. I am going to check out the ones you mentioned here. I bowse online and order them from my library, that way I get called when it's in, much easier than trying to find it with a bored three year old in tow.
Sounds like you are leaving soon... not what is amazing. You must be so excited!
I'm going to have to read more about your referral.....