Saturday, May 12, 2007

Rumour of a 'moritorium' on accepting new dossiers?

There is a new rumour out there within the last few days that CCAA may stop accepting new files/dossiers until they are able to deal with the current backlog...it is estimated that there are over 30,000 files currently waiting to me matched...an estimated 2 to 3 year wait from DTC to referral is accepted as very likely. No word yet on when (or if) this moritorium will begin. I've been wondering for a while when this would happen....strange that it may occur near/at the same time as the Beijing Olympics. I'm not sure if I would consider this coincidental...perhaps a way to 'save face' on the CCAA's part. Regardless, I think it is the most RESPONSIBLE thing for CCAA to do at this point, but I wonder why rumours of this happening are just coming out now....if it was done a year ago, the current climate of IA adoption from China would be very different. I can't for the life of me understand why a backlog of so many dossiers was even allowed to happen in the first place. When we first started looking into IA in 2003, I thought that there was a quota system in place....that agencies were only permitted to submit so many dossiers in a year....not sure what ever happened with that...

I do hope that the CCAA intends to keep the Waiting Child Program open, however. It would be a tragedy for so many children with health issues/medical needs to languish in the orphanage system. I guess we will wait and see what becomes of this rumour.