Friday, May 25, 2007

Are you current on currency?

Where do you go when you want money, to exchange money, to deposit money? A bank....at least that's what I thought...until today, that is. Since the exchange rate is so great right now between Canadian and US funds, I thought it was time to order the US cash that we will need for our 'donation' for CCAA. $3000 in $100 bills...new (or least new looking), crisp, clean, unwrinkled, unfolded , perfect $100 bills. Given that I asked the bank to order them in for me over the next 3 to 5 weeks, I didn't think it would pose a problem...wrong! The teller looked at me like I was an alien, or perhaps involved in something criminal for asking for the specific currency that I did. She asked why I might need 'new' bills...I didn't feel like elaborating since I don't think its any of her flippin' business....so I said I need to take the money to China - for a donation. She was appauled that anyone would 'ask' for a donation and then have the nerve to 'request' that the bills be in pristine condition. I must say, she did make me think....but I didn't explain any further, just said 'yep....kinda strange...'

Turns out after consulting with her superior, the teller still isn't sure if they can honour my request....this is a bank that I've used since I was about 10 years old!! I guess on Monday, I'll be trolling the 'downtown core' for a bank that is capable of handling the order for $3000 US in $100 bills.

I do want to comment on how this whole encounter made me feel/think about this 'donation'....but I want to sit with the thoughts for a while to make sure I really understand how I even feel about it....off the top of my head the whole thing conjures up the idea of 'baby buying' or 'human trafficking'.....not sure I can go there yet....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In China, people take it for granted that the bank will offer totally new cashes. It seems quite different in US. What do you mean buy 'baby buying' and 'human trafficking' in the end? As a Chinese, I can't understand what does that imply.

D said...

Hi Chris,

Sorry if my post was a bit vague. The 'baby buying' and 'human trafficking' comments were about the fact that a donation is required when adopting a child from China....I just think its strange to call it a 'donation' since its really not. I think people that don't understand international adoption could take 'donation' to mean the wrong thing...more like 'buying' a baby. I think a better way to describe it is a fee for what was spent on supporting the child for their time in the orphanage....no adoptive parent would ever deny that the cost of having a child and raising that child for a year could even come close to the $3000 donation. Not sure if I made myself understood...maybe its a topic for a future post?

Anonymous said...

So adopting a child in China need to make a "donation" first? Obviously, that is a fee required to adopt the child rather than a donation. You know my country better than me~ I never heard of this before