Thursday, September 6, 2007

To remain anony'mouse' or not?

I've been thinking a lot lately about how to proceed with this blog...whether or not to remain anonymous - meaning no 'real' names, no pictures of the family I love so much. As of now, I'm still undecided. I read several blogs on a regualr basis....some more anonymous than others. I'd love to hear some feedback...what made you decide to do your blog the way you do?

My original reason for being anonymous (although I've revealed my true identity to a few readers) was to protect my kids and my husband...so that I could talk about personal issues without causing them any undue harm or embarrassment. Our family already appears to be 'different' to most people we encounter on a daily basis...only one of our children 'look like' us....meaning two are Asian and one is Caucasian. Not many people where we live are familiar with adoption, let alone international adoption. I don't want to make a spectacle of our family, yet I doubt very highly than anyone outside the IA community (and more specifically, China IA community) even reads this blog...or any adoption blogs, for that matter. So, I ask myself - am I being too cautious? Would readers benefit from seeing who we are? From getting the occasional photographic glimpse of our lives? Would I feel more inspired and less cautious in my writing? On the other hand, by losing my anonymity, do I also give up my opportunity to gripe about certain subjects without the risk of any repurcusions?
I tell ya, its making my head spin. I'd love to hear from anyone with an opinion.

6 comments:

Rhonda said...

I've pretty much kept my anonymity on my blog (ie., no pictures). Whenever we go to friends houses we always step away from the camera so our picture doesn't get on their blogs.

Pretty much the only people that know that we're adopting are close family and friends. With the long wait that we have in front of us (possibly 2009--or later), we don't want everyone and their Aunt Sally knowing our situation and getting constant questions.

That being said, once we get our referral, we'll probably still keep the blog the same way. The only people that will see a picture of our child will be family and close friends who we've met in the adoption community.

I'm also of the opinion that if I have something to say, I say it. I know there are people from my (though I think it's 'our') agency read my blog, I pull no punches. ;)

I hope this helps a bit...

Thumbelina's Mom said...

I'm anonymous to a certain extent - pseudonyms for my children, but I do post pictures. Only 3 family members know about the blog (2 actually read it), so the pictures are mainly for them, and only 2 other people in my 'real life' know about it and read. I don't want people I actually know to follow along, so that's why I haven't told anybody about it.

I don't mind the adoption community following along, because I've been helped a great deal by reading other people who have BTDT.

You sound very familiar to me...almost as if I might know you...

crazylady said...

Hmm. The only regret I have is to have given my blog address to family.
Friends know me more or less, though some of the things I have discussed on my site have ruffled some feathers. As for anonymous status, that's up to you. I use our nicknames and first names (though have never mentioned my husband...for fear someone might link him being married to the kook crazylady). He is and will always remain Faithful Man (FM). I have never used our surname,our address or any place that might reveal where we live. Anyone with a tracer will know which city I'm from. No point hiding there.
If nothing else, pick your boudoir names to use. We'll never know.
As for pics, I push the thought of pedophiles in prison reading about us far out of my mind. Usually don't worry about it. I'm on blogger and made us 'private' so you can't just do a search for us. I feel you had to do some navigating to find me. I think only adoptive families are the bulk of my readers.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I will not agree on it. I over polite post. Especially the appellation attracted me to study the sound story.

Anonymous said...

Good post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.